Monday, April 12, 2010

Monday, April 12, 2010

Today we went to an off-site storage facility to prepare some of the films belonging to the University Archives for transfer to the ALF (the Auxiliary Library Facility). The off-site storage facility is actually in a converted bowling alley:


It's a very strange space. It's also used by Indiana University's Elizabeth Sage Historic Costume Collection, so there are mannequins strewn around the hallway leading to the film storage room. Some of them are whole, but there was also a garbage can full of arms and hands near the door. The room in which the films are stored is similar to a warehouse--a very large and open space filled with rows and rows of films in cases.

I worked on going through some of the films from WTIU, the Indiana University television station. Brad called the films I was going through "quads," although he wasn't sure why they were called that. After some Googling I thought maybe they were quadruplex videotape, but I'm not sure about that.

In any case, they were very large reels of film in cases, and I spent the day going through them and creating a list of the films. I looked at the labels on the cases and copied down any information about the content of the video and its date of creation. I then stuck a barcode next to this information on the sheet and an identical barcode on the case.

Most of the films I went through were on "Microcomputers," but there were also a significant number on "English Composition" and other miscellaneous topics. Most of them were from the 1970s.

Brad was also going through films, and he ran across some very odd labels. My favorite was the one that was apparently of an earthworm dissection.

No comments:

Post a Comment