Thursday, April 29, 2010

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Today was the last day of my internship.

I spent most of it working on a fun project--someone from England emailed us to offer more information about some images shot by Cushman in London in the 1960s, and I worked on verifying the information using Google and Google Earth. I'm particularly interested in London because I spent a semester there as an undergraduate in 2005. I loved seeing how the photographs taken by Cushman compared to more recent images. This was one of my favorite comparisons. In 1961, Cushman took these pictures of St. John's church in Smith Square that had been ruined by bombing and was not yet repaired:

The original can be found on the Indiana University Cushman site, here.

If you look carefully in the image above, you can see weeds growing through the church steps. The original can be found on the Indiana University Cushman site, here.

The church has since been restored as a concert hall. Here is an image of the church from Google Earth:


Since the trees are kind of in the way in that picture, here is another recent photograph of the building: http://www.essential-architecture.com/IMAGES/St_Johns_Concert_Hall.jpg

And here is the website for the church/concert hall: http://www.sjss.org.uk/

I also worked on some permission-to-publish forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment